Haiti - News Flash : Partial assessment 10 dead and many injured - HaitiLibre.com : Haiti news 7/7
 Download the revised decree and electoral calendar, published in the official journal





International Day for Biodiversity : Commitment from the Ministry of the Environment

Economic recovery in Haiti, the role of the Haitian diaspora

A new Municipal Commission has been installed in Cap-Haitien

FAd'H soldiers trained by MSF in first aid

iciHaiti - Elections : Use of public school infrastructure


more news


Zapping Haiti of May 23, 2026

Action plan of the Ministry of Culture until September 30, 2026

Haiti - Bogotá : Haiti proposes a regional system for the recognition of professional skills

Haiti - Social : Launch of the first shelters for women victims of violence

Zapping Haiti of May 22, 2026


more news


Haiti - News Flash : Partial assessment 10 dead and many injured
25/09/2010 11:18:00

Haiti - News Flash : Partial assessment 10 dead and many injured

Haiti was hit by powerful thunderstorms with gusty winds and heavy rains over the past 24 hours. The storm that struck suddenly and violently the Haitian capital was not linked to any tropical system, said Michael Lowry an official with the U.S. National Hurricane Center. Meteorologists say that only a low pressure system crossed the Greater Antilles. The assessment shows the fragility of Port-au-Prince face of weather events, we dare not imagine the results if it had been a hurricane.

The authorities announce this midday the death of ten people who were in the emergency camps. Several dozen people were injured, some seriously in several localities. Many wounded were cared for by members of NGOs or carried in makeshift hospitals, said a foreign doctor refusing to submit a assessment of the victims of bad weather. "We are currently compiling information before making a final statement" said the coordinator of the Haitian Civil Protection.

The cellular telephone communications were disrupted for several hours after the storm, making difficult contacts with local authorities. Some antennas and relays have been destroyed

"We evacuate people to schools and other shelters. People need blankets and clothes", said Nadia Lochard, from the Haitian civil protection.

See also:

https://www.haitilibre.com/en/news-1272-haiti-news-flash-violent-storm-2-000-tents-destroyed-at-least-5-dead.html

https://www.haitilibre.com/en/news-1273-haiti-news-flash-state-of-emergency-in-port-au-prince.html

https://www.haitilibre.com/en/news-1275-haiti-news-flash-storm-evaluation-of-current-situation.html

HL/ HaitiLibre



Twitter Facebook Rss
Send news to... Daily news...




Why HaitiLibre ? | Contact us | Français
Copyright © 2010 - 2026
Haitilibre.com