Haiti - USA : 26 ex-convicts and one innocent were repatriated yesterday in Haiti - HaitiLibre.com : Haiti news 7/7
 Download the revised decree and electoral calendar, published in the official journal





Cap-Haitien : Continuation of training workshops for brigadiers and firefighters in the North

2025-2026 Season : 1st edition of the «Paryaj Lakay» Gala

iciHaiti - PNH : Launch of a campaign to promote the integration of women within the institution

International Day for Biodiversity : Commitment from the Ministry of the Environment

Economic recovery in Haiti, the role of the Haitian diaspora


more news


Zapping Haiti of May 24, 2026

Launch of the ONA's monthly Assizes in Haiti

Recruited by gangs, Haitian children «pay a heavy price»

Official inauguration of the new Haitian airline ZED Airlines S.A.

Zapping Haiti of May 23, 2026


more news


Haiti - USA : 26 ex-convicts and one innocent were repatriated yesterday in Haiti
21/01/2011 09:40:34

Haiti - USA : 26 ex-convicts and one innocent were repatriated yesterday in Haiti

Despite the emergency petition filed in early January by several human rights organizations, including the Center for Constitutional Rights, Alternative Chance and The Florida Immigrant Advocacy Center (FIAC), to try to prevent the resumption of deportations to Haiti of condemned criminals in the United States, U.S. authorities have made the repatriation yesterday of 27 Haitians.

26 are ex-convicts who were sentenced for various crimes, who have served their sentences in the United States, were repatriated to Haiti yesterday. These deportations were immediately criticized by members of the Haitian-American community and the defenders of immigration.

Charles H. Kuck's lawyer Lyglenson Lemorin (35 years) [27 th Haitian], confirmed that his client Mr. Lemorin, appeared well on the list of those deported, as he had been acquitted in 2007 on a charge of conspiracy to destroy the Sears Tower in Chicago. The removal of Mr. Lemorin is "a high water mark in the injustice inherent in our broken immigration system" has informed his lawyer "deporting an innocent man should never be condoned".

In a statement, Barbara Gonzalez, spokeswoman for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), said the removals were consistent with ICE's priority of removing aliens who pose a threat to public safety adding that ICE will continue the deportations on a periodic basis.

Florida State Rep. Daphne Campbell, whose district includes Miami's Little Haiti, said she didn't wish to comment on the deportation of those convicted of crimes, but that she did reach out to Vice President Joe Biden and President Barack Obama in hopes of discussing immigration policy toward Haitians.

Washington is committed to expel for the moment only the criminals who have served their sentences. But all illegal Haitians or allowed provisionally after the earthquake, could also be affected later this year.

See also:

https://www.haitilibre.com/en/news-2063-haiti-usa-resumption-of-the-deportations-of-haitian-convicts.html

S/ HaitiLibre



Twitter Facebook Rss
Send news to... Daily news...




Why HaitiLibre ? | Contact us | Français
Copyright © 2010 - 2026
Haitilibre.com