Haiti - Security : «The GSF is dangerously underfunded» says Marco Rubio - HaitiLibre.com : Haiti news 7/7
 Download the revised decree and electoral calendar, published in the official journal





Cap-Haitien : Continuation of training workshops for brigadiers and firefighters in the North

2025-2026 Season : 1st edition of the «Paryaj Lakay» Gala

iciHaiti - PNH : Launch of a campaign to promote the integration of women within the institution

International Day for Biodiversity : Commitment from the Ministry of the Environment

Economic recovery in Haiti, the role of the Haitian diaspora


more news


Zapping Haiti of May 24, 2026

Launch of the ONA's monthly Assizes in Haiti

Recruited by gangs, Haitian children «pay a heavy price»

Official inauguration of the new Haitian airline ZED Airlines S.A.

Zapping Haiti of May 23, 2026


more news


Haiti - Security : «The GSF is dangerously underfunded» says Marco Rubio
15/11/2025 09:43:47

Haiti - Security : «The GSF is dangerously underfunded» says Marco Rubio

On Wednesday, January 12, 2025, speaking in Canada on the sidelines of a regional security briefing, U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio stated that the Kenyan-led mission remains dangerously underfunded, with only 1,000 officers deployed out of the 5,500 required by the United Nations Security Council in its resolution 2793 of September 30, 2025. https://www.haitilibre.com/en/news-45891-haiti-flash-the-security-council-has-voted-for-the-new-gang-repression-force.html

The United States is urging the international community to urgently increase its financial and military support for the FRG in Haiti, stressing that Kenya cannot undertake this operation alone given the escalating violence in the Caribbean nation.

Rubio noted that Washington had already funded the first phase of the GSF transition but stressed that other countries must step in to fund the remaining months and provide additional personnel.

He described the situation in Haiti as a "hemispheric crisis" requiring shared responsibility, not a burden Kenya should bear alone.

This transition has resulted in the creation of a new United Nations Support Office and the establishment of logistical structures managed by the Organization of American States (OAS). However, Rubio indicated that the mission is now hampered by a significant funding shortfall. Washington is urging member states, particularly in the Caribbean and Latin America, to contribute to the force. Rubio stated that the United States is in daily contact with countries that could potentially contribute troops.

"We welcome Kenya’s leadership, and we are grateful for what the Kenyans have done. But we believe there must be greater hemispheric participation. This is a regional crisis. Countries in this hemisphere need to take responsibility."

"We cannot allow Haiti to descend further into crisis," he said. "And we cannot expect Kenya to carry this burden alone."

SL/ HaitiLibre



Twitter Facebook Rss
Send news to... Daily news...




Why HaitiLibre ? | Contact us | Français
Copyright © 2010 - 2026
Haitilibre.com